Court Dismisses Kazakhstan’s Complaint regarding the Release of Alexander Pavlov on Bail
On the 31st July, the Republic of Kazakhstan filed – through its attorney ad litem Maria Concepción Villescusa Sanz – a complaint regarding the decision to release Alexander Pavlov. In August, the Audiencia Nacional court dismissed the complaint.
Alexander Pavlov, formerly associated with the Kazakh opposition, who had been in Spanish detention from June 2013, was set free on the 31st July 2014. The judges who signed the decision of the 29th July on his release from detention concluded that currently the risk of Pavlov fleeing was reduced to a minimum if not to zero before releasing him on bail.
Kazakhstan reacted to the decision of the Spanish administration of justice on the same day that Pavlov left the detention centre. The complaint was passed on to Pavlov’s lawyer and to the prosecutor’s office. These two bodies were in favour of its dismissal. The Spanish court shared that opinion too, finding that the arguments raised by Kazakhstan had no effect on the previous decision on Pavlov’s release and dismissed the complaint on the 18th August.
10UN Human Rights experts urge Spain to halt the extradition of Pavlov
26Spain once again postpones the decision on Alexandr Pavlov's extradition
25Kazakh oppositionist extradited
22Madrid court renders Kazakh oppositionist to dictatorship
07The list of Kazakh dissidents, their families and colleagues persecuted with the use of INTERPOL in the European Union in 2012-15
- Amnesty International: Spain to extradite asylum seeker to risk of torture in Kazakhstan (.pdf, 0.14 MB)
- Niccolo Rinaldi: Alma Shalabayeva: a case not only Italian (.pdf, 0.25 MB)
- The case of Tatiana Paraskevich: Through misuse of the EU's justice system, Kazakhstan's lobbyists seek to have Paraskevich's asylum status revoked (.pdf, 0.32 MB)
- The Open Dialog Foundation welcomes Lithuania’s decision to deny the extradition of Syrym Shalabayev to Kazakhstan or Ukraine (.pdf, 0.33 MB)
- Prominent Russian human rights activists сalled for preventing the extradition of Mukhtar Ablyazov (.pdf, 0.18 MB)