Kazakh oppositionist extradited
Spanish court Audiencia Nacional decides to extradite Aleksandr Pavlov to Kazakhstan. Back in his country Pavlov faces several years’ imprisonment.
Pavlov, former head of security for Mukhtar Ablyazov and the independent Kazakh newspaper “Respublika”, is a wanted under an Interpol’s Red Notice in relation to charges being levied against him by the authorities of Kazakhstan.
The Open Dialog Foundation in an open letter to Spanish MPs pointed out that this extradition case was politically motivated and aimed at discrediting the oppositionist, Ablyazov.
During the processing of the request for extradition, procedural regulations were breached. “Extradition is prohibited when even the smallest suspicion arises that the requesting state may violate human rights,” said lawyer and Open Dialog Foundation trustee, Jacek Swieca, in his interview for Polish Radio.
After hearing the verdict on Monday, defence lawyers announced they would be filing an appeal. In case it is rejected by the Audiencia Nacional full court, Pavlov will be extradited to Kazakhstan.
“The reason why Nazarbayev is in power is that, as a leader, he runs his country with an iron fist, at the same time enjoying enormous security obtained by virtue of the country’s resources,” - commented Tomasz Czuwara (Open Dialog Foundation) in his interview on Polish Radio.
28Court Dismisses Kazakhstan’s Complaint regarding the Release of Alexander Pavlov on Bail
10UN Human Rights experts urge Spain to halt the extradition of Pavlov
26Spain once again postpones the decision on Alexandr Pavlov's extradition
22Madrid court renders Kazakh oppositionist to dictatorship
09Common goal: democracy. The first meeting of the ODF with Mukhtar Ablyazov
Open Dialog Foundation meeting daughter and mother of Tatiana Paraskevich
Petr Silaev INTERPOL Spotlight
- Amnesty International: Spain to extradite asylum seeker to risk of torture in Kazakhstan (.pdf, 0.14 MB)
- Niccolo Rinaldi: Alma Shalabayeva: a case not only Italian (.pdf, 0.25 MB)
- ODF: Report on misuse of the Interpol system (.pdf, 2.23 MB)
- The case of Tatiana Paraskevich: Through misuse of the EU's justice system, Kazakhstan's lobbyists seek to have Paraskevich's asylum status revoked (.pdf, 0.32 MB)
- The Open Dialog Foundation welcomes Lithuania’s decision to deny the extradition of Syrym Shalabayev to Kazakhstan or Ukraine (.pdf, 0.33 MB)