UN Human Rights experts urge Spain to halt the extradition of Pavlov
Two UN independent experts urged the Government of Spain to halt the extradition of Alexandr Pavlov to Kazakhstan. The experts on torture and migrants' rights called on the Council of Ministers to consider Mr. Pavlov’s appeal. Pavlov appeal is based on reasonable fears that he may be tortured or receive an unfair trial if extradited.
The UN Special Rapporteur on torture Juan E. Méndez, claimed that:
All countries must ensure that extradition does not put an individual at risk of persecution, torture, inhuman or degrading treatment. Spain must adopt all necessary measures to safeguard Mr. Pavlov’s rights and physical integrity.
The UN Special Rapporteur on the human rights of migrants, François Crépeau, added:
The human rights of foreigners are no less important than the rights of citizens. The question we should ask ourselves is: would we as confidently send a citizen to the same fate?
Alexsandr Pavlov, former head of security of Ablyazov, was detained by Spanish authorities in 2012 on an Interpol warrant requested by Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan accuses accuses Pavlov of financial crimes and terrorism. On 18 November 2013, Spain’s Court Audiencia Nacional approved Pavlov’s extradition. Now the decision rests with the Council of Ministers.
07The list of Kazakh dissidents, their families and colleagues persecuted with the use of INTERPOL in the European Union in 2012-15
02Ingancio Sanchez Amor in defence of Ablyazov: Appeal to the French government
28Court Dismisses Kazakhstan’s Complaint regarding the Release of Alexander Pavlov on Bail
26Spain once again postpones the decision on Alexandr Pavlov's extradition
25Kazakh oppositionist extradited
- The Open Dialog Foundation welcomes Lithuania’s decision to deny the extradition of Syrym Shalabayev to Kazakhstan or Ukraine (.pdf, 0.33 MB)
- Prominent Russian human rights activists сalled for preventing the extradition of Mukhtar Ablyazov (.pdf, 0.18 MB)
- In a shocking decision, French Government Decrees Extradition of Kazakh dissident Mukhtar Ablyazov to Russia (.pdf, 0.42 MB)
- The statement of human rights activists of Ukraine and Kazakhstan on the inadmissibility of the extradition of Syrym Shalabayev, a relative of a Kazakh opposition leader (.pdf, 0.88 MB)
- French Ministry of Foreign Affairs erroneously hides behind the court proceedings when asked about Ablyazov. (.jpg, 0.68 MB)