The court refuses to extradite Pavlov
Audiencia Nacional (National High Court of Spain) refused to extradite Alexandr Pavlov on the grounds that the extradition papers were poorly translated, which prevented the court from thoroughly investigating the case. Alexandr Pavlov was released from custody.
A hearing in the case of Alexandr Pavlov was held on 17 April, 2013. However, the refusal to extradite the former chief of security for the Kazakh dissident Mukhtar Ablyazov, as well as his release, do not put an end to Kazakhstan's further opportunities to seek the rendering of Pavlov. The court provided Kazakhstan with the opportunity to submit new documents in order to re-apply for extradition of Alexandr Pavlov.
Before the court decision (on which Pavlov was released), during his stay in the detention facility, he was visited by consular employees of Kazakhstan in Spain: Azamat Abdraimov and Alik Zhumagulov. This visit contravened the law because Alexandr Pavlov had previously requested asylum and therefore he should have been protected from the Kazakh authorities whilst his asylum application was under consideration. The Kazakh diplomats asked Alexandr Pavlov questions relating to his case, but they also asked about his family which was construed by Pavlov as a veiled threat.
07The list of Kazakh dissidents, their families and colleagues persecuted with the use of INTERPOL in the European Union in 2012-15
02Ingancio Sanchez Amor in defence of Ablyazov: Appeal to the French government
16Kazakh with political refugee status in Poland released from Spanish jail
13Deputy Prosecutor General of the Kazakh Republic recalls the agreement with Russia concerning the handover of convicts
28Court Dismisses Kazakhstan’s Complaint regarding the Release of Alexander Pavlov on Bail
- Amnesty International: Spain to extradite asylum seeker to risk of torture in Kazakhstan (.pdf, 0.14 MB)
- Niccolo Rinaldi: Alma Shalabayeva: a case not only Italian (.pdf, 0.25 MB)
- The case of Tatiana Paraskevich: Through misuse of the EU's justice system, Kazakhstan's lobbyists seek to have Paraskevich's asylum status revoked (.pdf, 0.32 MB)
- The Open Dialog Foundation welcomes Lithuania’s decision to deny the extradition of Syrym Shalabayev to Kazakhstan or Ukraine (.pdf, 0.33 MB)
- Prominent Russian human rights activists сalled for preventing the extradition of Mukhtar Ablyazov (.pdf, 0.18 MB)