Alexandr Pavlov applied for political asylum
Alexandr Pavlov, who was arrested in Madrid in mid-December, officially applied for political asylum in Spain. An application for asylum was formalised on 24 January, 2013, and accepted for consideration on 06 February, 2013. The case was transferred to the National Supreme Court (Audiencia Nacional) for a decision on Alexandr Pavlov’s extradition.
Pavlov was arrested on the basis of an international arrest warrant issued by the Kazakh authorities, who accused him of embezzlement and planning a terrorist attack. According to Pavlov, the charges brought against him in Kazakhstan are directly related to the charges brought against the opposition activist Muratbek Ketebayev, and are political in nature.
11Dw.de: Spain Decides the Fate of M. Ablyazov’s Bodyguard
22INTERPOL's reform and rights of victims of politically motivated extradition requests: steps forward and emergence of new threats
07The list of Kazakh dissidents, their families and colleagues persecuted with the use of INTERPOL in the European Union in 2012-15
02Ingancio Sanchez Amor in defence of Ablyazov: Appeal to the French government
16Kazakh with political refugee status in Poland released from Spanish jail
- Report: The facts which confirm the fabrication of the case of Mukhtar Ablyazov in Russia: Tatiana Paraskevich and Artur Trofimov prosecution (.pdf, 0.47 MB)
- Amnesty International: Spain to extradite asylum seeker to risk of torture in Kazakhstan (.pdf, 0.14 MB)
- Niccolo Rinaldi: Alma Shalabayeva: a case not only Italian (.pdf, 0.25 MB)
- AI: Spain set to extradite man to Kazakhstan despite torture risk (.pdf, 0.16 MB)
- ODF: Report on misuse of the Interpol system (.pdf, 2.23 MB)