They want to convict Alma Shalabayeva at all costs
The investigation in the case of Alma Shalabayeva showed no evidence of her guilt; still, according to independent media, the trial which is due to begin next week, will end with a conviction – the ablyazov.org news portal states. This information, received from an anonymous source, was posted by the theatre director Bolat Atabayev on his Facebook page.
According to the unofficial information, received by Atabayev, investigating officers are helpless and haven’t found any evidence of guilt of Ablyazov’s wife, who has been deported to Kazakhstan. There is no physical material evidence, no testimonies of witnesses or circumstantial evidence. However, the court in Atyrau is preparing to convict her.
Mukhtar Ablyazov spoke about the process concerning Alma in Kazakhstan as follows:
“I received a message from Astana. As I have already informed you, a decision was made to present charges against my wife. It happened on 7 June. It was ordered that the trial be carried out swiftly and that Alma be convicted. An order was issued that it be done as soon as possible, in late July/early August, when the European Parliament is in recess. Everything will be done quietly. They want to convict Alma for speaking the truth. The issuance of the conviction was planned in accordance with a tested scheme, using legally valid judicial sentences. Specifically, the grounds for her conviction will be rulings from other cases concerning “the issuance of passports” to my family in Atyrau. Data from earlier lawsuits, which ended in convictions, will no longer be checked. The courts should take them for granted without taking into account the fact that Alma was not party to those proceedings, and there is no evidence of use or receipt of the passports”.
Independent media in Kazakhstan also reported on the threat of taking Ablyazov’s six-year-old daughter Alua away from her relatives and placing her in an orphanage.
06RBC.ru: Fugitive banker accused the government of Kazakhstan of kidnapping his wife and daughter
01Mukhtar Ablyazov arrested in Nice
18Ablyazov on the deportation of Alma and Alua
13Financial Times: Italy admits errors in Kazakh deportations
20Ablyazov on the kidnapping of Alma and Alua
A new chapter in Alma Shalabayeva’s hasty extradition story unfolds
The Italian television channel ‘TG1’ about the kidnapping of Ablyazov’s family members
The kidnapping of Ablyazov’s family – a black mark for the opposition
Bolat Atabayev on the kidnapping of Ablyazov’s family members from Italy
The authorities of Kazakhstan have admitted responsibility for the kidnapping of Ablyazov’s family
- The statement of human rights activists of Ukraine and Kazakhstan on the inadmissibility of the extradition of Syrym Shalabayev, a relative of a Kazakh opposition leader (.pdf, 0.88 MB)
- ODF: The unlawful deportation of Ablyazov’s family from Italy bears the traits of a planned special operation (.pdf, 0.3 MB)
- Human rights defenders write to Lithuanian authorities in support of Syrym Shalabayev (., 0 MB)
- Ukraine assists post-Soviet states with the persecution of political opponents and refugees (.pdf, 12.69 MB)
- The case of Tatiana Paraskevich: Through misuse of the EU's justice system, Kazakhstan's lobbyists seek to have Paraskevich's asylum status revoked (.pdf, 0.32 MB)