Mogherini replies to the appeal from MEPs on Kazakh dissidents
The High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Federica Mogherini, replied to a letter from MEPs of the progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats (S&D) at the European Parliament concerning mass-scale abuse of the system of the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol) by Kazakh authorities.
In the letter, Ana Gomes from Portugal and Marju Lauristin from Estonia mentioned, amongst other things, the cases of two Kazakh dissidents, Mukhtar Ablyazov in France and Muratbek Ketebayev in Spain, who were arrested under politically-motivated requests made to Interpol by Kazakhstan’s authorities and other authorities collaborating with them, for instance Russian.
In her reply, Mogherini argues that she is familiar with the development of the Kazakh oppositionists’ cases. In these matters, the European External Action Service had earlier replied to questions from MEPs. At the same time, the High Representative emphasised that extradition decisions are within the powers of EU Member States and are regulated by their national laws and international agreements. She assured, however, that the EU would continue to look into human rights in Kazakhstan and use every opportunity to encourage the authorities there to respect their international obligations.
At the same time, Mogherini called for further dialogue in this matter with the European Parliament, in particular, within the Delegation to the EU-Kazakhstan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee.
21ODF addresses the new UNHCR on issue of political refugees
07The list of Kazakh dissidents, their families and colleagues persecuted with the use of INTERPOL in the European Union in 2012-15
23Satrap Nazarbayev frees his political opponent. Vladimir Kozlov released from prison
01French Ministry of Foreign Affairs erroneously hides behind the court proceedings when asked about Ablyazov
03Stop the extradition of the oppositionist due to the threats of torture, an unfair trial and the illegal interference of Kazakhstan
Ablyazov’s memories: how he dropped out of school and got into business
Mukhtar Ablyazov with family
Mukhtar Ablyazov: Prison Camp Experience
The Italian television channel ‘TG1’ about the kidnapping of Ablyazov’s family members
Akorda’s political hostages
- French Ministry of Foreign Affairs erroneously hides behind the court proceedings when asked about Ablyazov. (.jpg, 0.68 MB)
- Stop the extradition of the oppositionist due to the threats of torture, an unfair trial and the illegal interference of Kazakhstan (.pdf, 0.12 MB)
- The Open Dialog Foundation welcomes Lithuania’s decision to deny the extradition of Syrym Shalabayev to Kazakhstan or Ukraine (.pdf, 0.33 MB)
- Prominent Russian human rights activists сalled for preventing the extradition of Mukhtar Ablyazov (.pdf, 0.18 MB)
- The story of ‘The Democratic Choice of Kazakhstan’ opposition movement (.pdf, 0.45 MB)