Open Dialog Foundation presented its report on the need of the Interpol system reform
On Friday 27 February, 2015, in the German parliament Bundestag in Berlin, the Open Dialog Foundation presented its newest report „The Interpol system is in need of reform".
The presented report is dedicated to the topic of misuse of the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol) by non democratic states in order to persecute their political opponents, and thereby the need for more transparent and human rights oriented procedures and mechanisms.
The event was organised by the Open Dialog Foundation, and hosted by Mr Frank Schwabe, MP from the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD). The speakers of the conference were: Mrs Lyudmyla Kozlovska, President of the Foundation; Mr Wojciech Mądrzycki, lawyer specialising in refugee law and two victims of the misuse of the Interpol system - Mrs Alma Shalabayeva, wife of a Kazakh political oppositionist Mr Mukhtar Ablyazov and Mr Pavel Zabelin, Russian entrepreneur involved by investigative authorities in the Yukos' case of Mr Mikhail Khodorkovsky in the Russian Federation. The conference was attended by other German MPs, parliamentary advisers and assistants and representatives of a number of diplomatic missions in Berlin.
It is important to underline that another German MP, Mr Bernd Fabritius from the Christian Democratic Union of Germany (CDU) was elected in October 2014 as the Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly's rapporteur on the reform of Interpol, while the current Interpol’s Secretary General is Mr Jürgen Stock, former Vice-President of German Federal Criminal Police (BKA).
22INTERPOL's reform and rights of victims of politically motivated extradition requests: steps forward and emergence of new threats
21ODF addresses the new UNHCR on issue of political refugees
23Satrap Nazarbayev frees his political opponent. Vladimir Kozlov released from prison
07The list of Kazakh dissidents, their families and colleagues persecuted with the use of INTERPOL in the European Union in 2012-15
26Demonstration in defence of refugees
Open Dialog Foundation meeting daughter and mother of Tatiana Paraskevich
A new chapter in Alma Shalabayeva’s hasty extradition story unfolds
Petr Silaev INTERPOL Spotlight
- ODF: Report on misuse of the Interpol system (.pdf, 2.23 MB)
- The Open Dialog Foundation welcomes Lithuania’s decision to deny the extradition of Syrym Shalabayev to Kazakhstan or Ukraine (.pdf, 0.33 MB)
- The case of Paraskevich: Ukraine continues to collaborate with Russia and Kazakhstan on attempts to prosecute political refugees (.pdf, 0.14 MB)
- Human rights defenders write to Lithuanian authorities in support of Syrym Shalabayev (., 0 MB)
- In a shocking decision, French Government Decrees Extradition of Kazakh dissident Mukhtar Ablyazov to Russia (.pdf, 0.42 MB)