The French National Assembly and the European Parliament ask about Mukhtar Ablyazov and Alexander Pavlov
At the beginning of December 2014, French MP and the Chair of the Committee on European Affairs in the French National Assembly - Ms Danielle Auroi, as well as Spanish MEP and a member of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the European Parliament - Mr Fernando Maura Barandiaran have appealed on the case of Mr Mukhtar Ablyazov, a Kazakh oppositionist and a political opponent of President Nursultan Nazarbayev.
Ms Auroi asked the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Minister Mr Laurent Fabius about the recent decision of the court in Lyon of 24 October, 2014, which has decided to extradite Mr Ablyazov to Russia or Ukraine. In the interpellation, French MP referred to the risk of Mr Ablyazov's transfer from Russia or Ukraine to Kazakhstan, as well as possible torture and other ill-treatment. In her question, Mr Auroi asked about the position of the French government in the case of Mr Ablyazov, indicating that he has been granted a political asylum in the United Kingdom.
Mr Maura Barandiaran, beside the intervention on Mr Ablyazov's case, referred to the similar example of Alexander Pavlov, a former security chief of Mr Ablyazov and a head of the independent Kazakh media group, Respublika, which was not extradited to Kazakhstan and has been granted protection in Spain (LINK).
Before, Mr Maura Barandiaran was also involved in the case of Mr Pavlov, during his term in the Spanish parliament.
01French Ministry of Foreign Affairs erroneously hides behind the court proceedings when asked about Ablyazov
07The list of Kazakh dissidents, their families and colleagues persecuted with the use of INTERPOL in the European Union in 2012-15
02Ingancio Sanchez Amor in defence of Ablyazov: Appeal to the French government
30Kazimierz Michał Ujazdowski appeals to Manuel Valls and Victor Shokin in the defence of Ablyazov
13Deputy Prosecutor General of the Kazakh Republic recalls the agreement with Russia concerning the handover of convicts
Ablyazov’s memories: how he dropped out of school and got into business
Mukhtar Ablyazov with family
Mukhtar Ablyazov: Prison Camp Experience
The Italian television channel ‘TG1’ about the kidnapping of Ablyazov’s family members
Akorda’s political hostages
- French Ministry of Foreign Affairs erroneously hides behind the court proceedings when asked about Ablyazov. (.jpg, 0.68 MB)
- Ukraine assists post-Soviet states with the persecution of political opponents and refugees (.pdf, 12.69 MB)
- The case of Tatiana Paraskevich: Through misuse of the EU's justice system, Kazakhstan's lobbyists seek to have Paraskevich's asylum status revoked (.pdf, 0.32 MB)
- The Open Dialog Foundation welcomes Lithuania’s decision to deny the extradition of Syrym Shalabayev to Kazakhstan or Ukraine (.pdf, 0.33 MB)
- The case of Paraskevich: Ukraine continues to collaborate with Russia and Kazakhstan on attempts to prosecute political refugees (.pdf, 0.14 MB)