Court Decision in June on Russia and Ukraine’s Participation in Ablyazov’s Trial
ITAR-TASS agency reports that the court of appeal in Lyon confirmed that it would take a decision, on 3rd June 2014, on the right of representatives of the Russian Federation and Ukraine to attend and appear while the case of the Kazakh dissident Mukhtar Ablyazov is being heard.
Upon an order from the French Cassation Court, the court investigative chamber has organised a preparatory session to consider the applications from Russia and Ukraine to extradite Mukhtar Ablyazov.
During the session, Ablyazov’s lawyers raised some concerns they had including the possibility of foreign representatives joining in while the case is being examined.
The lawyers also believe that the conformity should be checked of one of the articles of the Penal Code, on extradition, with the French Constitution. Under French law, the second decision of the court on extradition is not subject to appeal. The lawyers are of the opinion that it is contrary to the fundamental principles of defence.
As noted by an ITAR-TASS correspondent, Mikhail Timofeev, Ablyazov’s lawyers also challenge the right of the law firm which represents Ukraine at the session in Aix-en-Provence to appear in subsequent court sessions. They claim that due to the developments in Ukraine, the powers of attorney granted to the lawyers of said law firm representing Ukraine have ceased to be valid.
The Court has set the date for the hearing for 3rd June. It still remains unknown when the session regarding the extradition itself, will be held.
The court in Lyon has admitted new applications from Ukraine and Russia to hand over Ablyazov. The French prosecutor’s office declared that its attitude to the extradition was positive. The businessman and politician himself is currently in prison in Corbas, Rhône.
04Cassation court refuses to annul Ablyazov extradition decisions
06Court refuses to release Ablyazov on bail
10Another hearing in Ablyazov’s case at the end of September
25Ablyazov has not lost asylum in the UK
10France has refused to extradite Mukhtar Ablyazov to Russia and Ukraine
Ablyazov’s memories: how he dropped out of school and got into business
Mukhtar Ablyazov with family
Mukhtar Ablyazov: Prison Camp Experience
The Italian television channel ‘TG1’ about the kidnapping of Ablyazov’s family members
Akorda’s political hostages
- The case of Tatiana Paraskevich: Through misuse of the EU's justice system, Kazakhstan's lobbyists seek to have Paraskevich's asylum status revoked (.pdf, 0.32 MB)
- The Open Dialog Foundation welcomes Lithuania’s decision to deny the extradition of Syrym Shalabayev to Kazakhstan or Ukraine (.pdf, 0.33 MB)
- Prominent Russian human rights activists сalled for preventing the extradition of Mukhtar Ablyazov (.pdf, 0.18 MB)
- Human rights defenders write to Lithuanian authorities in support of Syrym Shalabayev (., 0 MB)
- In a shocking decision, French Government Decrees Extradition of Kazakh dissident Mukhtar Ablyazov to Russia (.pdf, 0.42 MB)