Czech senator Jaromir Stetina signed a plea to defend Tatiana Paraskevich
Jaromir Stetina, senator of the Czech TOP09 party, signed a plea in defence of Tatiana Paraskevich, addressed to Helena Valkova - Minister of Justice of the Czech Republic.
- Tatiana Paraskevich, one of the closest co-workers of the Kazakh dissident, Mukhtar Ablyazov, has been held in detention in Pilzno since May 2012. Both Ukraine and Russia have filed extradition requests in her case, while Kazakhstan also expressed direct interest in the case, says Aleksandra Gajewska, political advisor for the Open Dialog Foundation.
On February 18, 2014 the Czech Ministry of Internal Affairs decided to grant Paraskevich subsidiary protection for the period of one year. The following day, February 19, 2014, the court in Pilzno ordered her release.
This ruling was not carried out, however, as prosecutor Vera Cechova filed an appeal, despite the fact that - as the plea reads - “from a legal point of view an appeal filed by a prosecutor is groundless because they cannot appeal against a verdict granting international protection”.
22INTERPOL's reform and rights of victims of politically motivated extradition requests: steps forward and emergence of new threats
03Stop the extradition of the oppositionist due to the threats of torture, an unfair trial and the illegal interference of Kazakhstan
07The list of Kazakh dissidents, their families and colleagues persecuted with the use of INTERPOL in the European Union in 2012-15
21Alexander Pavlov was on the verge of freedom
17Polish Parliamentarians’ Appeal to Ukraine’s Authorities
- Ukraine assists post-Soviet states with the persecution of political opponents and refugees (.pdf, 12.69 MB)
- The case of Tatiana Paraskevich: Through misuse of the EU's justice system, Kazakhstan's lobbyists seek to have Paraskevich's asylum status revoked (.pdf, 0.32 MB)
- The Open Dialog Foundation welcomes Lithuania’s decision to deny the extradition of Syrym Shalabayev to Kazakhstan or Ukraine (.pdf, 0.33 MB)
- The case of Paraskevich: Ukraine continues to collaborate with Russia and Kazakhstan on attempts to prosecute political refugees (.pdf, 0.14 MB)
- Report: The facts which confirm the fabrication of the case of Mukhtar Ablyazov in Russia: Tatiana Paraskevich and Artur Trofimov prosecution (.pdf, 0.47 MB)