Senator Jaromir Stetina wants to help Tatiana Paraskevich
Representatives of the Open Dialog Foundation met with Jaromir Stetina, the Czech senator and member of the TOP09 Party, in Prague. The Member of Parliament was moved by the case of Tatiana Paraskevich, a close assistant of the Kazakh dissident, Mukhtar Ablyazov. She has been held in Pilzno for over a year and a half. The politician promised to take a closer look at her case and to do whatever he can to help her.
Tatiana Paraskevich was arrested in May 2012 in Karlovy Vary under international warrants issued by Russia and Ukraine. These states accuse her of embezzlement and misappropriation of property.
"The case of Tatiana Paraskevich is of a political nature. She had long been an assistant of the Kazakh politician, Mukhtar Ablyazov who is currently enemy number one for the authorities in Astana. Paraskevich’s arrest is connected with the activity of Kazakh intelligence agencies who want to force her to make confessions which would incriminate Ablyazov", states Aleksandra Gajewska, a political advisor of the Open Dialog Foundation.
At the beginning of December, the Supreme Court in Prague ruled not to release Tatiana Paraskevich from detention. However, her defenders and human rights campaigners, are working relentlessly to help Paraskevich regain her freedom.
"And we pin a lot of hopes on Senator Jaromir Stetina’s help with this case", adds Aleksandra Gajewska.
22INTERPOL's reform and rights of victims of politically motivated extradition requests: steps forward and emergence of new threats
03Stop the extradition of the oppositionist due to the threats of torture, an unfair trial and the illegal interference of Kazakhstan
07The list of Kazakh dissidents, their families and colleagues persecuted with the use of INTERPOL in the European Union in 2012-15
21Alexander Pavlov was on the verge of freedom
17Polish Parliamentarians’ Appeal to Ukraine’s Authorities
- Ukraine assists post-Soviet states with the persecution of political opponents and refugees (.pdf, 12.69 MB)
- The case of Tatiana Paraskevich: Through misuse of the EU's justice system, Kazakhstan's lobbyists seek to have Paraskevich's asylum status revoked (.pdf, 0.32 MB)
- The Open Dialog Foundation welcomes Lithuania’s decision to deny the extradition of Syrym Shalabayev to Kazakhstan or Ukraine (.pdf, 0.33 MB)
- The case of Paraskevich: Ukraine continues to collaborate with Russia and Kazakhstan on attempts to prosecute political refugees (.pdf, 0.14 MB)
- Report: The facts which confirm the fabrication of the case of Mukhtar Ablyazov in Russia: Tatiana Paraskevich and Artur Trofimov prosecution (.pdf, 0.47 MB)