Spanish parliamentarians appeal in the case of Alexander Pavlov
Four Spanish parliamentarians: José Ignacio Sánchez Amor (GP Socialista), Laia Ortiz Castellví (GP La Izquierda Plural) , Irene Lozano Domingo (GP Unión Progreso y Democracia) and Carles Campuzano i Canadés (GP Catalán ) addressed a letter regarding the case of Alexander Pavlov to the Spanish Minister of Justice.
In their appeal, the parliamentarians emphasise that the request for the extradition of Pavlov - a former security chief of the Kazakh dissident Mukhtar Ablyazov - " [...] is one of the persecutory measures, carried out throughout Europe and aimed at eliminating the opposition. This fact alone should be enough to prompt Spain to refused to extradite [...]". Politicians also indicate in their letter that Pavlov’s expulsion to Kazakhstan may expose him to torture and ill-treatment.
At the end of 2013, the Audiencia Nacional court ruled in favour of Pavlov’s extradition to Kazakhstan. The final decision on the matter is now in the hands of the Government of Spain. The authors of the letter urge the government not to follow suit.
"The legal evaluation made by the Audiencia Nacional court should not ignore political or humanitarian arguments which should influence the decision of the Government of Spain. Therefore we address you with a request that you refuse to expel Alexander Pavlov to Kazakhstan, even if the Kazakh government gives a diplomatic guarantee. We insist that the Government does not authorise the extradition of Pavlov, thus making a real contribution to the defence of human rights in the world"- the appeal reads.
07The list of Kazakh dissidents, their families and colleagues persecuted with the use of INTERPOL in the European Union in 2012-15
02Ingancio Sanchez Amor in defence of Ablyazov: Appeal to the French government
16Kazakh with political refugee status in Poland released from Spanish jail
13Deputy Prosecutor General of the Kazakh Republic recalls the agreement with Russia concerning the handover of convicts
28Court Dismisses Kazakhstan’s Complaint regarding the Release of Alexander Pavlov on Bail
- Amnesty International: Spain to extradite asylum seeker to risk of torture in Kazakhstan (.pdf, 0.14 MB)
- Niccolo Rinaldi: Alma Shalabayeva: a case not only Italian (.pdf, 0.25 MB)
- The case of Tatiana Paraskevich: Through misuse of the EU's justice system, Kazakhstan's lobbyists seek to have Paraskevich's asylum status revoked (.pdf, 0.32 MB)
- The Open Dialog Foundation welcomes Lithuania’s decision to deny the extradition of Syrym Shalabayev to Kazakhstan or Ukraine (.pdf, 0.33 MB)
- Prominent Russian human rights activists сalled for preventing the extradition of Mukhtar Ablyazov (.pdf, 0.18 MB)